Change Address With
the IRS For Business

It’s crucial to keep your business address updated with the IRS to ensure that you receive important tax notices, refunds, and other communication. Failure to do so could result in missed deadlines or other complications. To change the address for your business with the IRS, follow these steps:

1. File Form 8822-B

  • Go to the IRS website ( and search for “Form 8822-B” or “Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business.”
  • Download and print the form.
  • Fill out the form with accurate and updated information, including your old and new addresses, EIN (Employer Identification Number), and other required details.
  • Make sure to sign and date the form where required.

2. Additional Information

  • If you’re a sole proprietor and your business address change also affects your personal address, you may need to file a change of address for both your business and individual tax returns separately.
  • If you’re changing your business’s responsible party (such as a change in ownership), you must also provide information about the new responsible party.

3. Submit the Form

Mail the completed Form 8822-B to the IRS address listed on the form’s instructions. Be sure to use the correct address for your location.

4. Notify Other Agencies

After notifying the IRS, consider updating your address with other relevant agencies and organizations, such as your state tax agency, the U.S. Postal Service, and any financial institutions where you have accounts. If your address change occurs after filing your return, you should contact the post office that services your old address. Keep in mind that not all post offices forward government checks, so it’s essential to directly notify the IRS as well.

5. Keep Records

Keep copies of the Form 8822-B and any related correspondence for your records.

6. Allow Processing Time

The IRS will process your change of address request, and it may take some time for the update to reflect in their records. Continue to monitor your mail and correspond with the IRS using your old address until you are certain that the change has been processed.