USA Senior Client Bookkeeper / Accountant
Remote - Internal AR & Metrics (QBO)
Senior Client Bookkeeper / Accountant, Internal Accounts Receivable, and Metrics (QuickBooks Online).
We are seeking a highly independent QuickBooks online bookkeeper that will work on the transactional level as well as perform some level of review that the other junior bookkeeper performs. This will be done across approximately 10 monthly accounting clients and another 20 much smaller clients needing quarterly / annual support. There will also be a smaller internal AR function to perform. Ideally we are looking for a senior person that also still enjoys performing accounting work (accepting transactoins / journal entires / gathering missing info / etc…)
Please be sure to include in your submission the cumulative *months of experience in the following areas:
- Internal accounting performed (working at one dedicated larger company)
- Reviewing financial statements prepared by others
- Training others in bookkeeping
- External / Public Accounting (working for several smaller companies)
- AR experience (sending out bills)
- Tax / other relatable experience
*We use months as an experience gauge as sometimes you could be reviewing financials 8.3% of the time and preparing statements the rest of the time. In such an example you would report 1 month of review experience and 11 months of statement preparation experience.
Within the above please specify the % in types of businesses you work with:
- Services business
- Inventory based business (such as a store)
- Manufacturing based business (such as hardware)
- Startup business (such as software)
This position will primarily perform bookkeeping for the clients of Gillingham CPA doing accounting on a monthly basis by accepting transactions, performing journal entries, and obtaining all needs from the client. It is critical that the candidate have a strong academic and practical experience in preparing financial statements starting at the transaction level.
The majority of the time is anticipated to be spent using QuickBooks Online and sometimes Excel with our bookkeeping clients. We do ask that the candidate be flexible should other ad-hoc or internal projects become more of a focus overall or in the short term.
The candidate must have the ability to ascertain missing information and get the financial statements accurate in a mostly independent environment. The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of relevant accounting experience which includes inventory based businesses. Typical clients have less than $10 Mil in income and / or capitalization.
Due to the nature of bookkeeping for clients, the candidate must be detail-oriented and intellectually curious. The accountant must have a strong interest in ensuring a variety of different small business statements are being prepared in a proper and timely manner.
The candidate needs a record demonstrating strong reasoning, progressively more challenging accounting work, and stability. For lack of better words we do not need a robot! We need someone that can think critically and prepare financial statements where each client or month is not a repeat of the last.
- Accounting degree
- 5-plus years experience in accounting or highly related field
- CPA (PH or USA) a big plus
- Strong grasp of excel (pivot tables and accounting functions)
- Experience reviewing junior work or signing off on comp reports
- Management of accounting process and / or training others
- Trial balance adjustments, experience with QBO apps, direct AR function experience, and / or inventory tracking
Primary DutiesPerform monthly accounting for Gillingham CPA small business clients using QuickBooks online.
- Primary duties will be approximately 70% of the time
- Classify transactions and prepare client needs list for unknown or missing items
- Reconcile asset, liability, and equity accounts to statements
- Perform adjusting entries to cost of goods sold, assets, work in process, and other costing accounts as needed
Secondary DutiesPerform the accounts receivable billing function for Gillingham CPA
- Secondary duties will be approximately 20% of the time
- Perform billing on a weekly basis with critical thinking applied when comparing budget to actual, billing notes, prior billing, and keeping clients happy
- Send and communicate invoices to clients
- Work with the firm administrator and owner to approve billing
KPIs and Ad-hoc projects as needed
- Tertiary duties will be approximately 10% of the time
- Prepare key performance indicators and firm internal metrics
- Cyclical projects as needed
Please send your resume and all correspondence in English. Please carefully answer questions via email prior to any Google Meet interview as this is an important part of the hiring process.
An exclusive secure full time office is required. Minimum computer and internet speed will be required. Equipment will be purchased and owned by the company if needed. Local background check and references are required.
Due to time zone differences we are looking for an excellent learner that enjoys 90% of the time learning and working independently.
Depending on Experience Comp: $1.5K – 2.5K on a monthly basis, paid bi-weekly. No additional month pay. Maternity leave available after 1 year of service. Maternity leave is half pay, 1 month for fathers and 2 months for mothers.
Hours40 per week. Working schedule is Manila Time is either an early or late shift to coincide with CST time zone cross over. (This creates a 2 hour minimum overlap of 9 to 5 CST USA working hours). (8 working hours and 1 hour unpaid break)
- AM shift: 5 AM to 2 PM (Calls with USA first thing in the morning)
- PM shift: 4 PM to 1 AM (Calls with USA late in the evening)
- Excellent pay
- Fully remote and friendly work environment (work from home)
- Career advancement and supportive learning environment
- 6 weeks paid time off equivalency (30 working days with a combination of paid time off, sick, and floating holiday)
- Please let us know about your relevant work experience. ***Important*** Please include your relevant experience in terms of total months as requested earlier in the post.
- Any work from home experience?
- A few challenging projects that your would like to share?
- Please describe your work environment (Internet speed / computer specs)
- Please let us know what excites you about the job.
- Are you a morning person or a night person?
Thank you! Please note that due to the volume of applicants that not all applications may receive a response. We appreciate your time and effort.
Your application will include the following questions:
- How many years’ experience do you have as a Client Bookkeeper?
- How would you rate your English language skills?
- Are you willing to undergo a pre-employment background check?
Gillingham CPA is a rapidly expanding remote CPA firm with roots in San Francisco, California. We support equity compensated clients, standard high-income individuals, small businesses, and seed-stage startups. We do not perform fiduciary, trust, non-profit, or estate related tax preparation. Our clients have tax return, planning, advisory, and sometimes, bookkeeping needs. Our employees enjoy a full benefits package, semi-flexible schedules, and a strong work-life balance.
While we value technology, we do not hire robots. We strive to constantly improve our processes and deliverables in this rapidly changing environment. This is not a “SALY” (same as last year) or even same as last month work environment. We adapt quick, research, and continually work as a team to do better for clients and each other.
In addition to the general site, be sure to check out:
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there set hours I need to be working during the day?
Yes. Standard hours are 8 hours a day, in the timeframe: 8 to 5 PST.
Can I work from anywhere?
No. The work must be performed in the USA on a secure dedicated internet connection. You must have a private (home ok) office to conduct phone calls.
What are some perks of the job?
Work with a nice team making daily impact for clients and on the business. The job is fully remote and general flexibility increases with time. Expect a grand total of 4 to 5 paid weeks off with holidays, bonus days, flex time accrual, and sick time if needed. Come in, do a great job, and then leave work behind. We respect our time off and try to avoid working more than 8 hours a day.
Are any skills tests or background checks required?
Generally we will perform a soft-skills test (no right or wrong answer), a knowledge-based test, and a standard background check. The knowledge-based test is mostly to gauge very basic levels of aptitude to understand where we need to direct training efforts early.
Is promotion possible?
What if I am missing some relevant skills?
Traits such as being highly detail oriented and ok with working in a variety of tasks is crucial. For example in the same day you could be onboarding a client, preparing a draft proposal, and running KPI (Key Performance Indicators) for the month-end scorecards all in the same day. Some background with Excel and exposure to tax and or accounting is therefore very important. The actual granular tasks such as doing billing, organizing files, and running the reports can all be taught. No one candidate will have perfect skills across all the required areas.
Is there a trial or test period? About how long?
Yes. We have a one month trial period.
Is a cover letter required?
No, but it could help. If you could simply jot a quick email explaining a bit about what you are looking to accomplish in a new position, it would be great. There are no perfect answers. It is ok if you simply want to have a great work-life balance and do great when on the clock. It is also ok if you want to work up to a promotion and are interested in studying on your own time.